11 Clan Member panel

Member Login

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

BF Clientside Map Auto Patcher

BF Clientside Map Auto Patcher

Postby Jeronimo » Sun 09 Aug, 2009 6:56 pm

Short description of the 568th open project of mine:
A tool to automatically download maps (or map patches) from a server and put them into the game's respective mod-folder. Written in VB.NET 2008. Should support multiple servers (clans) with different packages (game servers for example). Should then be made open source to every other clan that wants to use this.

Advantage: We can update our maps CLIENTSIDE as often as we want - all the members and players have to do is run the tool once befor playing on our servers (if an update is there) or automatically on startup of their PCs. This works with updates (_001.rfa, fast) as well as with completly new maps (slower because of the size)! No checking our website, searching for links, downloading, installing etc. manually any more, only run the program till it says "done" and go.

Not sure yet, but I think I'll use http for the data transfer. Banana, maybe after I worked out the protocol/xml- structure you could write a php server app for this? I'll do it in VB as well, but that'll only run on Windows...
If you wanna be my baby it don't matter if your Blackhawk's white!
Jeronimo

Re: BF Clientside Map Auto Patcher

Postby Nodbrother » Sun 09 Aug, 2009 8:27 pm

If this would work....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abcgpn2UTV8&feature=related

So this writes to any path you want? I mean, sometimes we need to use 1 or more of the different mods folders, and they have a mapstructure with subfolders also.
Nodbrother
Leader

Re: BF Clientside Map Auto Patcher

Postby Jeronimo » Mon 10 Aug, 2009 7:59 am

If I consider it, yes, sure. :)

btw: after several crashes yesterday, I gave up coming on TS. It didnt even boot anymore, before I removed the graphics drivers. Replaced it with a new one then, still the system crashes here and there where it shouldnt. It seems there's really something wrong with one of my graphics cards... arrrrrrr!
If you wanna be my baby it don't matter if your Blackhawk's white!
Jeronimo