Member Login

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Battlefield 1943 for PC is cancelled

This is for posting news on the frontpage

Battlefield 1943 for PC is cancelled

Postby -=11=- » Fri 04 Feb, 2011 9:58 am

Hello everybody,

I found something interesting in the EA UK forum:

There comes a time when we as a studio have to choose where to best put our efforts. At DICE we’re dedicated to taking care of our products after launch, and also hell bent on building new, innovative and high quality games.

In my day to day work, I look at our release schedule and the studio’s capacity, weighing them against our wild ambitions to create awesomeness. I often need to make hard calls regarding where we put the studio’s focus. Part of the challenge is to balance work on the new against the already shipped, prioritizing the amount of energy spent on the known franchises and the time spent on developing something entirely new.

This is one of those cross roads where I need to make a hard decision. While we’ll continue supporting Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and previous games, it’s time to look ahead to the next giant leap for DICE – the release of Battlefield 3, powered by the mighty Frostbite 2 engine. Our goal is crystal clear: we’re going to build the best Battlefield game ever, and we’ll do whatever it takes to make this the biggest launch in DICE’s history.

We know some of you eagerly have been awaiting Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Onslaught on PC. I’m sad to say that these two titles are now officially cancelled. Instead, our talented teams will focus on delivering the greatest possible gaming experience in our next behemoth release. We’re confident this will lead to an even better experience in Battlefield 3, not only on PC, but on all platforms.

For an idea of what that means, watch this space for some exciting news I think you’ll like.

Best regards,
Karl Magnus Troedsson
General Manager, DICE

link to original post by zh1nt0
-=11=-

Re: Battlefield 1943 for PC is cancelled

Postby Nodbrother » Fri 04 Feb, 2011 1:00 pm

EA finally dropping a game, a year after it should have been released lols me out :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was looking forward to that game though....

As for ONSLAUGHT, where a team of 4 players was supposed to progress through a map, fighting bots, well.... I do not think clans will rent 4 slot servers, EA is certainly not going to host them, and the simple fact users can not host a game themselves also ruled out that possibility.

Let's just hope those devs can all be a big contribution to further develope BF3.
Nodbrother
Leader

Postby EBassie » Fri 04 Feb, 2011 1:26 pm

I'm shocked...... NOT..... :)

Battlefield 1943 would be a free game, I thought?,
I think BF play 4 Free is now the answer to that.

Well, I saw this one coming.....
EBassie
Leader

Postby EBassie » Fri 04 Feb, 2011 1:36 pm

And they gave us a new game instead:
http://www.thedutycalls.com/

:)
EBassie
Leader

Postby Nodbrother » Fri 04 Feb, 2011 2:08 pm

E-Bastard wrote:I'm shocked...... NOT..... :)

Battlefield 1943 would be a free game, I thought?,
I think BF play 4 Free is now the answer to that.

Well, I saw this one coming.....

No free game, just not that expensive, only €13,= or something like that.

On Play4Free, I am a Bèta tester and I am not supposed to write anyting about the game outside of their forums, but I think that game is a nice try; nothing more, nothing less. That's all I can say. TS if you want to know more.
Nodbrother
Leader

Postby Loki » Fri 04 Feb, 2011 4:00 pm

Well, better than needing 13 years to develope a game ... by the way: Duke Nukem Forever will be released 06.05.2011 :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.dukenukemforever.com/
Loki
Leader in Retirement

Postby foxterrier » Fri 04 Feb, 2011 5:00 pm

The only thing I'll miss are the airplanes!!!!! And of course my beloved gentleman dog fights. :cry:
foxterrier
Member of Honor

Postby EBassie » Fri 04 Feb, 2011 5:45 pm

Nodbrother wrote:On Play4Free, I am a Bèta tester and I am not supposed to write anyting about the game outside of their forums, but I think that game is a nice try; nothing more, nothing less. That's all I can say. TS if you want to know more.

LOL... Yeah I know... Been betatesting too. But never installed it again after complete new windows install.

But... ssssshhhttt.... don't talk about it here! ;)
EBassie
Leader